Recipe by andypandy
an old family recipe. Good for Halloween treats,in those days. Now we serve at Holloween parties.
Top Review by Boyz 5
Made these yesterday for my kids' afterschool snack and of course they were gone - Lickety-Split!!!I've been using a similar recipe for a while now but thought I'd give this one a try.I think I overdid it a bit though on the amount of molasses I used.I thought that it might have affected the flavour of the finished product somewhat but was pleasantly surprised to see that it hadn't.I also added a bit more cocoa than what was called for, as we really like a chocolatey flavour in these addictive treats!!!Very Good!!I will definately be making these again.Thanks,andypandy!!
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1⁄2 cup corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 quarts puffed wheat cereal or 2 quarts popped corn
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook sugars, molasses, cocoa powder, syrup, and water in a buttered pot.
- Allow candy thermometer to reach 300 degrees F.
- Mixture will seperate into hard, brittle threads when dropped into cold water.
- Stir in butter and vanilla.
- Remove from heat. Pour over the cereal in a large bowl.
- Stir well,coating all cereal thoroughly. Cool slightly.
- Roll into balls and set apart to cool completely.
- This can be pressed into a 13 x 9 inch pan and cut into squares.