Prep 15 mins
Cook 51 mins
This is a great lunch or brunch dish. You can use milk instead of cream if you want a few less calories. Serve with a green salad and warm tortillas
- 1 (9 inch) pie shells
- 2 cups monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 2 (4 ounce) cans whole green chilies, drained and sliced
- 6 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 dash hot pepper sauce (depends how hot you want it)
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- Heat oven to 425°F.
- Cover your pie crust with foil and press into the shell.
- Hold the foil down with a layer of dried beans.
- Bake 6 minutes and remove the foil.
- Put 1 cup of cheese in the partially baked crust.
- Spread on half the chilis.
- Repeat with the remaining cheese and chilis.
- Beat 4 eggs with the cream and hot pepper sauce and nutmeg.
- Pour over the chilis and bake in a 375°F oven for 30 minutes.
- Separate 2 eggs and beat the egg whites until they form soft peaks.
- Lightly beat the egg yolks and fold them gently into the beaten whites.
- Spread over the hot chilis and cheese and bake for 15 minutes or until puffy and browned.
Very easy and the puffy layer on top gives this extra personality vs. a regular quiche. I couldn't taste the nutmeg or Tabasco because the green chili flavor was strong, so may add more next time. Meat lovers may want to add bacon or sausage, but it's terrific as-is!