Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
As a child I remember that we used puffed rice to make some squares, but have not found a recipe on Zaars, so I have changed one of the recipes to work with making them with puffed rice cereal. The time given as cooking, is actually the setting time. Hope you enjoy them.
- Bring the syrup and sugar to a boil in a sauce pan. Remove from heat and add peanut butter, mix well.
- In a large mixing bowl mix the syrup mixture and cereal together, starting with 8 cups of cereal and adding the additional cup if needed. Press mixture into a 9x13-inch pan.
- Melt chocolate chips together in a small saucepan on the stove or place the chips in a micro safe bowl, microwaving them on MED for about 2 minutes. Remove and stir until smooth. Spread the chocolate on top of squares.
- Let set at room temperature for a couple of hours, cut into squares and store at room temp in an air tight container.
- If stored in the fridge they will become VERY hard.
i made half of this recipe along with a separate half batch of puffed wheat squares by *pamela* using puffed rice for both. i actually didn't do this right because i added the peanut butter and heated it as well instead of after removing it from the heat. i did not use the chocolate chips and they still turned out very sweet, i'm thinking that next time i may just exclude the sugar. they did harden up nicely so that the puffed rice wouldn't get soggy, like it does with rice crispy treats.