Recipe by Mysterygirl
This is a wonderful souffle-like dish that is so easy. It is one of the first dishes that I ever made that actually came out looking like the picture in the book.
Top Review by yooper
This is quite possibly the best cauliflower dish I've ever tasted! It did look beautiful when it came out of the oven! I got a little creative when I boiled the cauliflower. I added a minced garlic clove to the water. The texture was so creamy and custard like, it just about melted in my mouth! I never thought playing "tag" would be so rewarding!
- 1 medium cauliflower
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 teaspoons flour
- 1 cup milk (or milk & water in which cauliflower has been cooked)
- salt & pepper
- 1⁄4 cup fine breadcrumbs
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Wash cauliflower; remove stalk end.
- Cut into quarters; remove hard stalk.
- Divide into florets; cook in boiling salted water until tender; drain.
- Heat butter in pan.
- Add flour; stir over low heat 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Add milk gradually; stir until smooth.
- Return to heat; stir until boiling.
- Add salt, pepper and most of bread crumbs.
- Stir in egg yolks, cheese and cauliflower; adjust seasonings to taste.
- Beat egg whites until stiff; fold into mixture.
- Put into greased ovenproof dish; sprinkle with remaining crumbs.
- Bake in preheated 400 degree oven about 30 minutes, until well risen and brown.