I made this as part of my family's Sunday big breakfast. We really liked it we thought it was very yummy. I sprinkled my whole dish with 3 teaspoons powdered sugar. I think this would be perfect for brunch. I got this recipe from Bon Appetit. Sherry Sharp of Fremont, California, writes: "The Arroyo Village Inn is a lovely bed-and-breakfast in Arroyo Grande, California. During my recent stay there, I enjoyed the apple pancake made by the inn's owner, Gina. When she brought it to the table, it looked like a puffy soufflé. Once I had cut into it, I could see the sliced apples." This breakfast treat rises like Yorkshire pudding and has the texture of a classic baked pancake. Sprinkle powdered sugar over the pancake after it's baked, if you like.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup whole milk
- 4 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 12 ounces golden delicious apples, peeled, cored, thinly sliced (about 2)
- 3 tablespoons packed golden brown sugar
- powdered sugar (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 425°F.
- 2Whisk milk, eggs, sugar, vanilla, salt, and cinnamon in large bowl until well blended.
- 3Add flour and whisk until batter is smooth. Place butter in 13x9-inch glass baking dish.
- 4Place dish in oven until butter melts, about 5 minutes.
- 5Remove dish from oven.
- 6Place apple slices in overlapping rows atop melted butter in baking dish.
- 7Return to oven and bake until apples begin to soften slightly and butter is bubbling and beginning to brown around edges of dish, about 10 minutes.
- 8Pour batter over apples in dish and sprinkle with brown sugar.
- 9Bake pancake until puffed and brown, about 20 minutes.
- 10Sprinkle with powdered sugar, if desired.
- 11Serve warm.
Browse Our Top Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Puffed Apple Pancake
Serving Size: 1 (252 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 411.3
- Calories from Fat 169
- Total Fat 18.8 g
- Saturated Fat 10.0 g
- Cholesterol 248.1 mg
- Sodium 392.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 32.1 g
- Protein 10.7 g