Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
This recipe is posted by request. Original recipe is by Steve Brill.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 4 cups ramps, leaves or 4 cups scallions, chopped
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, mashed
- 2 cups puffball mushrooms
- 3 (25 1/2 ounce) cans tomato sauce or 3 (25 1/2 ounce) canshomemade tomato sauce
- 3⁄4 cup dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 tablespoon broken bay leaf, tied in a spice bag
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried rosemary, finely crumbled
- In a large skillet heat oil over medium heat.
- Add the ramp/scallions, onions, celery, garlic and mushrooms.
- Cook stirring until the onions are lightly browned, around 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepot bring remaining ingredients to a boil over medium high heat.
- Add the sauteed veggies, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 1 hour, covered.
- Stir a few times to avoid burning.
- Remove spice bag and serve.
- This keeps 8 days in fridge or up to 6 months in the freezer.
- **Rampis a wild leek.