Recipe by Emmanuel1234
Nigerian fried dough. Great recipe for a fried bread. I enjoy this recipe because it is quick to make and it is very rich. It is very easy for anyone to make this recipe. My family has had this recipe for a long time. But this is my version of the recipe.
Top Review by Lolaoluwa
This recipe is awesome! I've tried many times (over 6 times) to make puff puff using different recipes, all without success. With this recipe, however, I get very nice, soft puff puff. Very tasty! Just this weekend, I've made this recipe twice, my family loves it. The only thing I add is a tablespoon of nutmeg. I had trouble converting the ounces of yeast to tablespoons so I ended up using about 6 1/2 level tablespoons of yeast--it worked perfectly. When the puff puff is done cooking, I cover the whole batch and allow them to sweat in their own heat--I think this helps keep them soft. Delicious!!!!
- 4 cups warm water
- 2 1⁄4 ounces active dry yeast
- 6 cups bread flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 gallon canola oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Add 2 tablespoon of sugar and the yeast to the water. Use a whisk to dissolve the mixture for about 2 minutes. Let the mixture sit for 7 minutes until it starts to bubble.
- Turn the mixture to a big bowl and add the remaining sugar, salt, and vanilla extract and mix well until dissolved.
- Sift the 6 cups of flour into the mixture and mix well with a whisk or a wooden spoon. Then you can begin to mix the mixture with your hand until all the bumps are smooth. Mix for about 4 minutes.
- When the mixture is smooth, cover with seran wrap and leave it at a warm area to rise for about an hour an hour and a half.
- Heat up the oil in a pot at medium heat for 15 minutes. Make sure that the oil is about 2 inches deep so that the puff puff dont end up being flat. When you are ready to fry the puff puff lower the heat for a minute.
- The puff puff mixture should be nice and risen. grab small amount fo the mixture with your hand and squeeze small balls through your thumb and index finger. The balls should rise to the top of the oil quickly. Raise the oil temperature so that the balls can brown. You want to cook these balls for about 3 minutes each or maybe 4 minutes so that the inside gets cooked properly. If you dont want to use your hand to make the balls , you can use a small ice cream scoop. Remember to lower the oil temperature between each fry. Also turn them around frequently so they brown all over. Drain them on a paper towel. and leave to cool for 30 minutes before serving.
- They taste best with coke or sprite or any soda you might have.