Prep 1 hr
Cook 20 mins
Milhojas De Setas Y Gambas En Salsa De Cava; Tapas by Penelope Casas
- 6 ounces puff pastry, chilled
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced shallots
- 1⁄4 lb shrimp, shelled and chopped medium fine
- 3 1⁄2 ounces mushroom caps, chopped medium-fine (shiitake or brown)
- 1 tablespoon minced serrano ham, cut from 1/8 inch thick slice (or prosciutto)
- 2 teaspoons minced parsley
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sweet paprika (preferably Spanish smoked)
- 2 tablespoons dry sparkling wine (such as cava or dry white wine)
- 6 tablespoons heavy cream
- 4 teaspoons grated cured manchego cheese (or Parmesan cheese)
- fresh grated nutmeg (a pinch)
- 4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- kosher salt or sea salt
- fresh ground pepper
- Heat oven to 450°; roll out puff pastry to a thickness of 1/8 inch, then cut into rounds with a 2 ½ inch scalloped-edge cookie cutter, and transfer to a baking sheet.
- With a 1 ½ inch cookie cutter, centered over the 2 ½ inch rounds, make incisions, about three-quarters through the dough.
- Bake on an upper rack until golden brown, about 8 minutes.
- Turn off the oven, and leave the pastries in the oven with the door slightly ajar for another 5 minutes, or until the pastries are thoroughly crisped.
- Remove the inner circle from each pastry, discard any pastry interior, and reserve the caps.
- Heat the oil in a skillet; add in the shallots; saute 1 minute.
- Stir in the shrimp, mushrooms, ham, parsley, and thyme; cook until the mushrooms are slightly softened.
- Add in the paprika, then the wine; cook until wine is evaporated.
- Mix in the cream, the grated cheese, nutmeg, worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper; cook down, stirring, until the mixture has the consistency of a thick sauce.
- Heat the pastry shells briefly in the oven and fill with the shrimp mixture; top with the caps and serve.