Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe comes from an old 1980's cookbook from Bogota, Colombia. This is a really simple dish.
- 1 lb puff pastry
- 1 lb fresh spinach
- 1⁄2 lb queso fresco or 1⁄2 lb ricotta cheese or 1⁄2 farmer cheese
- 4 hard-boiled eggs
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- Divide the puff pastry into 2 equal parts.
- On a floured work surface, roll out 1 piece of the dough so that it is not too thin, but will cover a 8 x 8 inch baking dish (sides and bottom); grease pan and place rolled out puff pastry in dish.
- Rinse spinach and cook, over medium heat, with salt, for about 5 minutes to wilt; remove, drain, and chop spinach.
- In a bowl, combine spinach with cheese and spread the spinach mixture over the pastry in the baking dish; quarter the cooked eggs and scatter them over the spinach.
- On a floured work surface, roll out other piece of pastry and place over spinach mixture; use a fork to seal like a crust.
- Beat egg with sugar and brush over outer crust.
- Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 45 minutes.
- Serve with meat.