Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
These are quick samosas using a frozen, commercial puff pastry instead of the traditional samosa dough. You can used cubed boiled potatoes in place of the peas, too, or combine the two vegetables if you like.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 (9 -10 ounce) package frozen baby peas
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons green chutney (cilantro or mint chutney)
- 2 tablespoons tamarind chutney
- 1 lb frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg, whisked with
- 1 pinch salt, for glaze
- Preheat oven to 400*.
- Combine the oil and cumin in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring, until the cumin begins to brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the peas and the salt and coo, covered, until the peas soften, 5 to 6 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the chutneys. Let cool.
- Lay a sheet of puff pastry on a lightly floured work surface. Cut the sheet into thirds along the lines of the smaller rectangles. Brush all around the edges of each with egg glaze. Spoon a generous tablespoon of peas in the center. Fold the top of the rectangle down so that it meets the bottom layer 1 to 1 ½ inches above the bottom edge and makes a triangle. Fold the bottom up and tuck the overhang over. Press gently to seal. Put on a baking sheet and brush with the egg glaze. Repeat to make two more turnovers. Then roll out and fill six more turnovers.
- Bake until crisp, 18 to 20 minutes. Serve hot.