Recipe by Chef Buggsy Mate
This is a nice savory chicken sandwich pocket that is full of flavor. It makes a great dish for a sit down dinner or when the guys come over to watch the big game.
Top Review by **Jubes**
Reviewed for Aus/NZ Forum Recipe Swap June 2011- 5 stars from my husband and daughters for a delicious dinner. Easy to put together and could also be made in advance to be put in the oven at dinnertime. I used plain cream cheese that I added fresh herbs to and one sheet of frozen puff pastry (Australian) for each chicken breast roll. A nice filling for the centre. Baked at 190C. for about 40 minutes in my oven. Photos also being posted. Thanks for another great recipe Chef Buggsy Mate
- 8 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon crushed thyme, divided
- 35 -40 large spinach leaves
- 2 (8 ounce) cartonsof your favorite cream cheese with herbs or 2 (8 ounce) cartons vegetables
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cold water
- 1 tablespoon poppy seed
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut a lengthwise slit in every chicken breast to within a 1/2 inch of the the other side, open so they lay flat.
- Cover each chicken breast with plastic wrap; pound to 1/8 inch thickness. Remove plastic wrap and sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper.
- Stir half of the thyme into each carton of cream cheese and set aside.
- Place spinach leaves over chicken breasts.
- Spoon 2 Tbs. of the cream cheese mixture down the center of each chicken breast.
- Sprinkle the toasted pecans over the cream cheese and lightly press so that they stick.
- Roll up the chicken breasts to cover the filling and tuck in the ends.
- Unroll the puff pastry; cut into 8 even portions. Roll each into an 8-in.x7-in. rectangle.
- Combine egg and cold water; brush over edges of pastry.
- Place chicken at one short end; roll up tightly and tuck in ends as you go.
- Place pockets on a greased cookie sheet. Brush them with remaining egg and water mixture, and sprinkle with poppy seeds.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.