Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
I suggest to double the recipe these are *that* good!
Top Review by peppergirl
I chose this recipe out of all the puff pastry recipes because it required less work, and I was short on time. I substituted toated almonds for the walnuts, but other than that, I followed all the directions. The chicken was moist, flavorful, and elegant looking. My husband thought this was fantastic dinner, so needless to say, I'll keep it. Thanks for sharing, Kittencal!
- 8 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 40 large spinach leaves
- 2 (8 ounce) cartonsspreadable chive & onion cream cheese
- 1⁄2 cup chopped toasted walnuts
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cold water
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 350°F.
- Grease a 15x10-inch baking pan.
- Cut a lengthwise slit in each chicken breast to within 1/2-inch of the other side; open breast so it lies flat.
- Cover with plastic wrap; pound to flatten to 1/8-inch thickness.
- Remove plastic wrap.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper over chicken.
- In a saucepan, bring 1-inch of water to a boil; add spinach.
- Cover, and cook for 1-2 minutes, or until wilted; drain.
- Place five spinach leaves on each chicken breast.
- Spoon 2 tbsp cream cheese down the center of each chicken breast; sprinkle with walnuts.
- Roll up chicken, and tuck in the ends.
- Unroll puff pastry; cut into eight portions.
- Roll each into an 8x7-inch rectangle.
- Combine egg and cold water; brush over edges of puff pastry.
- Place the chicken at one short end; roll up tightly, tucking in ends.
- Place on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake at 350°F for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown.