Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
A recipe I found at FoodTV site for Danish recipes. Posting it for ZWT6. Sounds wonderful!!
- 1 cup mascarpone cheese
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 egg (beaten with 1 tablespoon water)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, plus extra for rolling out dough
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 6 ounces fruit preserves (cherry or strawberry)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a small bowl combine the mascarpone, egg yolk, sugar, flour and vanilla. Stir until just combined and then set aside.
- Dust the puff pastry with flour and roll with a rolling pin to flatten and smooth.
- Place the puff pastry on a sheet tray lined with parchment paper. Schmear the mascarpone down the middle of the puff pastry lengthwise into a 3-inch wide strip. Spoon the fruit preserves on top of the mascarpone.
- Using sharp kitchen shears cut the long sides of the pastry into 1-inch wide strips. Cut towards the cheese filling but stop about 1-inch before you get to the filling. This result will look like fringy pastry. Alternating sides, fold 1 piece of the fringe over the cheese and jelly mixture. The result will look like a braided pastry with fruit preserve peeking through. Brush the dough with the beaten egg yolk mixture. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes until golden brown. Let cool on a rack for at least 15-20 minutes before serving. Cut into strips to serve.
09-23-12: Update! I made this again, this time pinching the strips together as I folded them over. It came out perfect this time. I also folded up the ends before 'braiding' and this kept everything inside the pastry! LOL. A great recipe using blueberry preserves.
12-26-10: This was quite delicious, but I had problems with the construction...My braids came undone during the first 10 minutes of baking, so about 1/4 of the cheese and preserves oozed out all over the baking pan. It made a huge mess, but I just let it bake. Once it was done, I let it cool and we taste-tested - DELICIOUS. Next time I make this I will definitely pinch the braids together - hopefully, they will hold together. This was easy to make and I used blueberry preserves, which turned out to be a delicious combination. Thanks for posting diner - made for Phototag.