Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 hrs
Take a long time to make but the result is really good.
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 100 g unsalted butter, frozen
- 100 g vegetable butter, frozen
- 5 -6 tablespoons ice water
- Stir together flour and salt in a chilled large metal bowl. Coarsely grate frozen butters into flour, gently tossing to coat butter.
- Drizzle 5 tablespoons ice water evenly over flour mixture and gently stir with a fork until incorporated. Test mixture by gently squeezing a small handful: When dough has the proper texture, it will hold together without crumbling apart. If necessary, add another tablespoon water, stirring until just incorporated, and test again. (Do not overwork dough or add too much water, or pastry will be tough; dough will be lumpy and streaky.).
- Form dough into a 5-inch square, then chill, wrapped in plastic wrap, until firm, at least 30 minutes.
- Roll out dough on a floured surface with a floured rolling pin into a 15- by 8-inch rectangle (with a short side nearest you). Brush off excess flour and fold dough into thirds like a letter. Rewrap dough and chill until firm, at least 30 minutes.
- Arrange dough with a short side nearest you on a floured surface and repeat rolling out, folding, and chilling 2 more times. Brush off any excess flour, then halve dough crosswise with a sharp knife and chill, wrapped separately in plastic wrap, at least 1 hour.