Recipe by realbirdlady
More like a quiche than a pancake, this is a simple nutritious base for seasonal fruit. (Based on "Oven Puff with Fruit", from Great Good Food by Julee Rosso.)
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- lemon juice
- 2 cups mixed fruit (berries, melon, grapes, apple, etc.)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Lightly oil a 9-inch casserole and place in the oven.
- Whisk together eggs, egg whites, milk, and vanilla.
- Add a dash of salt.
- Sprinkle flour over the mixture, and whisk to combine.
- Pour the batter into the hot casserole.
- Bake 15-20 minutes, until the top and edges are browned and beginning to crisp.
- While the puff is baking, clean fruit and slice or shred to a consistent size, convenient for eating.
- Remove from the oven, sprinkle with lemon juice and sugar, and fill with fruit.
- Serve immediately. (The center will collapse soon after the puff comes out of the oven. That's fine, but the dish is not nearly as tasty if it sits and cool to room temperature.).