Recipe by Leslie in Texas
The tingling taste of the Margarita is translated into a pie as refreshing as the drink itself! Originally from a June 1978 issue of Bon Apetit.
- 1 (1/4 ounce) envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 cup lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 1⁄3 cup tequila
- 2 tablespoons orange liqueur
- 10 inches pie crusts, baked
- 1⁄4 cup whipping cream, whipped and sweetened to taste
- 8 pieces lime peel, twists for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine gelatin,1/2 cup sugar and salt in heavy saucepan.
- Beat egg yolks and lime juice together until foamy; stir into gelatin mixture.
- Cook about 3 minutes over low heat, stirring until gelatin is completely disolved.
- Stir in tequila, orange liqeur and lime peel.
- Cool and refrigerate until mixture is thick but not set.
- Beat eggs whites until foamy.
- Slowly add remaining 1/2 cup sugar and continue beating until stiff peaks form.
- Fold egg whites into gelatin mixture.
- Turn into pie crust and chill thoroughly.
- Pipe or spoon sweetened whipped cream around the edge of pie and garnish with lime peel twists.