Recipe by aymeahrens
I can never get steamed white rice to come out right. A friend from Puerto Rico showed me this method. Lift the lid and sample as often as you like without fear of ruining the rice! Perfect and delicious every time. Total cook time will vary depending on altitude.
Top Review by resipsaloquitur
In Puerto Rico we boil the water first, with the salt and oil. Then add the rice and reduce the heat to med-hi. When it dries, we mix the rice, reduce the heat to low and cover until the rice is tender (about 20 minutes). This makes for the fluffiest rice.
Directions See How It's Made
- Stir rice and water into a medium pot with lid. Bring to a boil.
- Add salt and oil. Keep mixture at a gentle boil until rice is dry (it will not be tender). Use a mixing spoon to form a heap with the rice in the center of the pot.
- Cover and reduce heat to medium-low.
- Remove lid every 5 minutes to stir and sample rice. Rice will form a crust on the bottom of the pot if not stirred often.
- When rice is steamed to your liking, stir one last time to fluff; serve.