Pernil is roasted pork shoulder, seasoned to the max. It is served with rice and beans or sweet plantains. Cold Pernil is sliced thin paired with Swiss cheese, pickles and ham to make the famous Cuban sandwich. I found this recipe online and have made it twice now. I love it and so does my family.
- In a bowl mix garlic, salt and oregano.
- With a sharp knife make deep cuts in to the pork only on meat side,and stuff the garlic mixture into the slits.
- The more cuts the better the flavor.
- Sprinkle the other seasoning the Adobo and the Sazon all over the outside.
- Then rub the seasonings in making sure the entire surface is covered.
- Roast the Pork in a pre-heated 350 degree oven for 4-6 hours uncovered in a pan with a rack.
- Roast the pork skin side down for the first 2 hours and then turn skin side up for the remaining time.
- Pork should be well done and tender.
- Make sure all juices run clear before removing from oven.
this is a great recipe, the trick I use for crispy skin (chicharron) IS dont turn it, LEAVE IT ALONE). i DONT USE SAZON, I MAKE A PASTE OF THE SEASONING WITH 3 TBPS OF OIL. IS SOOO GOOD.
I made this recipe exactly as posted although I did fear that the meat would be tough and dry from the long cooking in the oven. NOT! It was tender and delicious. At one point in the cooking process, I stepped outside to walk down to the mailbox, and when I came back into the house - WOW - what an aroma! I sliced this very thin and will use the leftovers for sandwiches. (FYI - for those of you intolerant of MSG, there is some of that in the Sazon seasoning - just so you are aware.)
Awesome basic recipe! The great thing about this recipe is that you can continue to add ingredients that you love! I added green stuffed olives, basil, thyme, olive oil, sazon, adobo, black pepper, a touch of honey and cayenne pepper...words cannot explain it! My fiance is from Colombia and he hinted that even his mothers recipe had some competition now! I found no need for foil like the other reviews--the hard crust is like a fantastic chicarron! Thankyou so much ~j4~!