Prep 8 mins
Cook 0 mins
This recipe is used in conjunction with my Puerto Rican Arroz Con Pollo (Rice and Chicken). This mixture is used in almost every savory dish that leaves a Pueto Rican kitchen. It is similar to the 'Holy Trinity' mix used in New Orleans. Store extra Sofrito in an airtight container in the fridge. Sofrito also freezes very well.
- 1⁄2 white onion, chopped
- 1 pepperoncini pepper, seeded, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded, chopped
- 1 green pepper, cored, seeded, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- Chop and fold together all ingredients until well combined. Store in an airtight container.
Made this in conjunction with Puerto Rican Arroz Con Pollo (Rice and Chicken). However, I ended up with a lot more than 3/4 c of sofrito... I had a very large red bell pepper (which I only used half of) and used one small green bell pepper. I kept the rest of the ingredients the same and ended up with three 3/4 c portions! So, I used one for the arroz con pollo and froze the other 2 portions in heavy duty freezer bags for a rainy day. Thank you for that tip in the introduction! It might be helpful to others if a size is indicated for the onion, and bell peppers... otherwise, great recipe for sofrito! Thanks for posting!!!