Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
- 6 large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup dark rum
- 1 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 6 juniper berries
- 1⁄2 lemon, zeste only
- 1 clove
- 1⁄2 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 cup dark molasses
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2 cups canola oil (for frying)
- 1 red onion, julienned
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1⁄2 lemon, sliced
- 1 teaspoon chopped cilantro
- To prepare shrimp, add all ingredients except shrimp to a small saucepan.
- Heat to a boil and reduce by one-half.
- Let cool, add shrimp, and marinate for two hours.
- Cook the shrimp on a grill on in a grill pan for about a minute on each side (shrimp should just lose their translucency)- keep shrimp warm.
- Next prepare crispy onions.
- Heat oil in a deep fat fryer; soak onions in buttermilk, then dredge them in flour, and then fry in hot oil.
- Drain well and keep warm.
- To assemble dish, place fried onions in center of plate.
- Add three avocado slices to corners of plate, and place shrimp on avocado slices.
- Serve while warm, garnished with lemon and cilantro leaves.