Prep 25 mins
Cook 8 hrs 30 mins
Put your own spin on delicious with this slow-cooked Puerto Rican Shredded Pork roast, made with fresh citrus juice, garlic and herbs.
- 2 -3 lbs boneless sirloin pork roast or 2 -3 lbs sirloin tip roast, trimmed and tied with kitchen twine if necessary*
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 -5 garlic cloves, skins removed, crushed
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1⁄2 tablespoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 4 oranges, juiced or 1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 4 limes, juiced
- Using a sharp knife, poke a few holes into the pork and stuff holes with half of the crushed garlic. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, warm the oil. Add the pork and brown on all sides, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer the meat to a slow cooker.
- Combine the remaining ingredients in a blender and blend for a few seconds until evenly combined. Place the pork in the slow cooker. Pour the liquid mixture over the pork, and let the pork marinate in the mixture for about 10 minutes on each side.
- Turn the slow cooker on low, and set the timer for 8 hours.
- After 8 hours, remove pork and shred using two forks on a large cutting board. Remove all the liquid from the slow cooker except for 1 cup of the cooking liquid and add pork back to pot. Let it cook another 15-30 minutes.
- Serve the shredded pork over lettuce wraps or in corn tortillas, and top with pico de gallo, chopped cilantro and/or avocado.
- *Please note that if you’re unfamiliar with tying a roast with kitchen twine, ask your butcher to pre-tie the roast in the store.
This was delicious full of flavor, melt in your mouth pork roast. I used a boneless pork shoulder roast. Marinated it for 24 hours, put it in roasting pan with lid and let it roast @ 300^f for 5 hours adding water as needed to the bottom of roasting pan to keep it moist. The pan drippings made for a delicious gravy. Thank you for posting n will make again.
I really love this recipe. I've made it for my family for dinner, and I've made it for a get together with a few other families and it's a hit. Everyone loves it and wants me to send them the link so they can make it at their homes.
perfect and tasty! we will be making this again