1 hr 5 mins
The recipe is very flexible in the type of chiles used. Blend a couple of types for complexity. The dish is also great for splashing on your favorite hot sauce too. You can also add beer instead of water when things are looking a bit too dry. It also can be fun to mix in a few different types of beans, like black beans and pintos. It isn't a requirement to use a pressure cooker, but it is fast and the flavor from the ham hock to the beans is greater. From: the First Bay Area Chile Heads HotLuck
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 cups water
- 8 ounces smoked ham hock
- 1 cup dried pinto bean
- 1 cup uncooked long grain white rice
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 dash sesame oil
- 1/2 onion, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, smash and chop
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and diced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1 (15 ounce) can peeled plum tomatoes, drain reserve juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1Place the water and ham hock in a pressure cooker, check to make sure the steam release holes are clear and cook for 5 minutes.
- 2Add the pinto beans and cook 20 minutes more.
- 3Add the rice, and when the pressure cooker"hisses," cook for another 5 minutes.
- 4While the rice and beans cook, heat the oil in a large skillet and saute the onion and garlic until the onion becomes translucent.
- 5Add the red pepper, jalapeno peppers, oregano and tomatoes, stirring and chopping as you go.
- 6Add 1/4 cup of the reserved tomato juice, half of the salt and half of the pepper.
- 7Lower the heat and simmer 15 minutes.
- 8After the rice and beans have cooked, remove the ham hock, slice off 2 ounces of lean meat and reserve.
- 9Add the cooked rice and beans to the pepper-tomato mixture in the skillet.
- 10Stir in the reserved ham hock meat, 2 Tbs of the cilantro, the capers and the remaining salt and pepper.
- 11To serve: Spoon into bowls and garnish with the remaining cilantro.
Browse Our Top White Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All White Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Puerto Rican Rice And Beans (Arroz Con Habichuelas)
Serving Size: 1 (2041 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1587.8
- Calories from Fat 123
- Total Fat 13.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1753.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 306.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 43.7 g
- Sugars 25.9 g
- Protein 61.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
smoked ham hock