Prep 5 mins
Cook 35 mins
When we lived in Puerto Rico, this was a favorite meal. We're back in the States now, but when I make Red Beans and Rice it transports me back to La Isla Del Encanto! It can be eaten as a meal itself or with a simple salad.
- 1⁄2 cup chopped lean ham
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chorizo sausage, optional
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (19 ounce) can red kidney beans, rinsed
- 1 (8 ounce) canunsalted tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce
- 2 cups uncooked white rice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Over medium heat, heat oil in a large saucepan.
- Add ham, chorizo, onion and green pepper, garlic and cumin.
- Sauté until vegetables are tender.
- Add beans, tomato sauce and Tabasco sauce.
- Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add in remaining ingredients and 4 cups water.
- Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer until rice is tender.
Just as your family got hooked, so did mine. I love this dish, it is authentic, easy to make, and the left overs are fantastic. Once again, when I heated up my lunch at work, my co-workers, enticed by the aroma, gathered around to see what I was eating. If you like spice, try this dish.
Excellent, easy to make and the flavor is equal to what is served at restaurants here in Puerto Rico.
Good stuff! I changed the recipe up a bit to make it vegan and didn't sacrifice any flavor...used a soy chorizo and then used a couple tablespoons of vegan bacon bits instead of ham which provided that smoky flavor. In the end I added I can of diced tomatoes. . .juice and all. It tasted a lot like my chorizo chili which I love.