Recipe by truebrit
When we lived in Puerto Rico, this was a favorite meal. We're back in the States now, but when I make Red Beans and Rice it transports me back to La Isla Del Encanto! It can be eaten as a meal itself or with a simple salad.
Top Review by Dawn
Just as your family got hooked, so did mine. I love this dish, it is authentic, easy to make, and the left overs are fantastic. Once again, when I heated up my lunch at work, my co-workers, enticed by the aroma, gathered around to see what I was eating. If you like spice, try this dish.
- 1⁄2 cup chopped lean ham
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chorizo sausage, optional
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (19 ounce) can red kidney beans, rinsed
- 1 (8 ounce) canunsalted tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce
- 2 cups uncooked white rice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Over medium heat, heat oil in a large saucepan.
- Add ham, chorizo, onion and green pepper, garlic and cumin.
- Sauté until vegetables are tender.
- Add beans, tomato sauce and Tabasco sauce.
- Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add in remaining ingredients and 4 cups water.
- Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer until rice is tender.