1/1 Photo of Puerto Rican Red Beans and Rice
When we lived in Puerto Rico, this was a favorite meal. We're back in the States now, but when I make Red Beans and Rice it transports me back to La Isla Del Encanto! It can be eaten as a meal itself or with a simple salad.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup chopped lean ham
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chorizo sausage, optional
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (19 ounce) can red kidney beans, rinsed
- 1 (8 ounce) can unsalted tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce
- 2 cups uncooked white rice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1Over medium heat, heat oil in a large saucepan.
- 2Add ham, chorizo, onion and green pepper, garlic and cumin.
- 3Sauté until vegetables are tender.
- 4Add beans, tomato sauce and Tabasco sauce.
- 5Simmer for 5 minutes.
- 6Add in remaining ingredients and 4 cups water.
- 7Bring to boil.
- 8Reduce heat, cover and simmer until rice is tender.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Puerto Rican Red Beans and Rice
Serving Size: 1 (378 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 726.2
- Calories from Fat 149
- Total Fat 16.5 g
- Saturated Fat 5.0 g
- Cholesterol 30.2 mg
- Sodium 1173.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 113.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.1 g
- Sugars 4.1 g
- Protein 29.8 g