Recipe by Recipe Junkie
From the international cookbook. I prefer to use the stovetop the way this is written, but this recipe says that it can be made in a pressure cooker, reducing the cooking time by one-third.
Top Review by E-liz
I used 1/2 the meat and potatoes but all of the seasonings/liquids. It was pretty easy to put together and the flavor was outstanding! After the meat was done cooking, I took it out and shredded it with a fork, then put it back in the liquid and let it reduce down at a boil for about 15 min. Absolutely delicious and I will definitely make it again.
- 4 lbs beef roast
- 2 ounces salt pork, skinned and chopped
- 1 teaspoon capers, chopped
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 2 green peppers, cleaned and chopped
- 1 1⁄2 lbs potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3 tablespoons tomato puree
- 3 chilies
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 ounces lard
- 6 cups water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tomatoes
Directions See How It's Made
- Make a deep cut with a sharp knife across the meat.
- Combine salt pork, capers, oregano and vinegar with half the peppers, chilies and onions.
- Add 1 T oil.
- Pound into a smooth mixture and stuff this mixture into the cut in the roast.
- Melt lard in large saucepan and brown meat on all sides over high heat for 10 minutes.
- Add water, salt and remaining peppers, chilies and onions.
- Bring to a boil and simmer over moderate heat for 2 to 2 and 1/4 hours.
- Add potatoes, tomato and tomato puree, mixed with the rest of the olive oil.
- Stir into pot.
- Bring back into boil and cook, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until potatoes are soft and the sauce thickens.