Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Received via email (thanks Myrtle Killian!). This sounds like it would be so tart & refreshing when the weather is hot & humid - coming soon so stashing for summer entertaining. Will try with the tiny little key limes when they are available. They are fiddly but oh so good!
- 9 inches pie crusts, your favorite recipe (or packaged if pressed)
- 3⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 4 egg yolks (reserve the white for the meringue)
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup lime juice, fresh
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 egg whites
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon lime juice, fresh
- Bake the pie crust in a preheated 350 degree F oven for about 30 minutes, or according to the package directions, until light golden brown. Cool and set aside.
- Combine the cornstarch and 1 cup of the water in a saucepan and whisk until combined. Add the remaining water and filling ingredients and whisk to combine. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until thick and boiling. Pour into the baked pie shell.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff. Add the remaining Meringue ingredients, beating until thoroughly combined. Top the pie filling with the egg white mixture, spreading it just to the edge of the pie crust. Bake in a preheated 350 degrees F oven for about 15 minutes, until light golden brown.
- Cool fully in refrigerator before cutting.