Puerto Rican Fried Meat Pies: Empanadas
- DOUGH: combine all the dry ingredients in electric mixer, add all the wet ingredients. Mix for about 3 minutes until well combined. Dough will form.
- Take it out and knead for about 3 minutes, let sit wrapped in plastic-wrap for another 15 minutes.
- Divide into 12 pieces, then roll into 4 inch circles.
- FILLING: Brown ground beef (drain excess grease), or sauté shredded chicken in 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil. Add all the ingredients and cook for an additional 10 minutes stirring occasionally. Let cool.
- COOKING: Preheat the oil in a frying pan at about a medium temperature. Place about 2 tablespoons of the filling in the dough and seal the edges with a fork.
- Fry for about 5 minutes on each side, then place on dish lined with paper-towels.