Prep 29 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is very simple to make and it’s just a warm and satisfying meal on a cold or rainy day.
- 1 whole chicken, cut in pieces
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 4 tablespoons olive oil (1 reserved)
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 3 tablespoons sofrito sauce
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 medium carrot, sliced
- 1 large potato, cube
- sazon goya con culantro y achiote, 1 package
- Rub the chicken with salt, pepper and oregano and one tablespoon olive oil and set aside for 30 minutes.
- In a large heavy pot sauté the sofrito, onions and celery with remaining olive oil, for 5 minutes over medium-low heat. Brown the chicken pieces to seal in their flavor. Add the chicken stock or water to the chicken and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Raise the heat and bring to a boil once more; add carrots, potatoes, sazon and bay leaf. Reduce heat to medium and cook uncovered for 20 minutes, until carrot and potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally. During the last 5 – 10 , minutes add the angel hair and cook until pasta is done.
Just made this soup and it was Delicious. My hubby & Son enjoyed it very much. It was so easy to make. I will be making this again!
I was fighting off a bad cold all week and craving chicken noodle soup like my puerto rican abuelita and mami made for me when I was a little girl. Finally mustered up the energy to cook it for myself and made this recipe. Came out delicious!! Very satisfying. The only change I made was adding some chopped up cilantro along with the carrots and potatoes. My fiancé loved it as well. If you have leftovers, the noodles tend to soak up the broth and it's more like a "lo mein" kind of dish than a soup, but just as delicious!!!
One of the best chicken soups I have made! It was easy and quick. Family loved it. Made according to directions. Luckily, I found the Puerto Rican sazon and sofrito at the third grocery!
Will make again. (Just returned from San Juan and miss the cuisine!)