Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Buñuelos de Queso--These small cheese breads are an excellent and easy side dish for a Puerto Rican meal. Add 2 tsp dried oregano or 2 tsp paprika to the sifted flour if you like
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup cheese, shredded (or grated)
- oil (for deep frying)
- Beat the eggs, milk and sugar together in a large bowl.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into another bowl.
- Mix the flour into the egg mixture just enough to moisten all the ingredients and bring the batter together. Do not overmix.
- Fold in the cheese.
- Heat oil for deep frying to 350-365°.
- Drop spoonfuls of the batter into the hot oil and fry until golden brown.
- Remove to a plate lined with paper towels and repeat with the rest of the batter.
My family liked them and they were easy to make. Soft inside and crisp outside. I added the oregano and used swiss cheese because it's what I had on hand, but think they'd be even better with sharp cheddar. This makes a lot, so I'd halve the recipe next time, but very good. Thanks for sharing.