Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Adapted for oven baking from a recipe emailed to me. Love the piquancy of the olives & vinegar with the mild sweetness of the tomatoes & raisins. Awesome for these last raw days of late spring & tougher cuts of beef from the freezer.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 lbs beef top round steak, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 green bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro leaf, chopped
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 teaspoon oregano, dried
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 3 bay leaves
- salt, to taste
- pepper, freshly-ground, to taste
- 1⁄2 lb carrot, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1⁄2 lb potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1⁄2 cup pimento stuffed olive
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large, heavy oenproof pot over moderate heat and brown the meat.
- Add the peppers, onions, garlic, cilantro, vinegar, oregano, tomato sauce, bay leaves, salt and pepper and bake covered for 1 hour at 325 degrees F.
- Add the carrots and potatoes and bake 1 hour at 300 degrees F, or until the meat is tender.
- Add the remaining ingredients and simmer an additional 15 minutes.