1/2 Photos of Puerto Rican Beans (Habichuelas Guisadas)
3 hrs 15 mins
Growing up Grandma Irma would make rice and beans at least once a week. As I little girl I loved them and still love them as an adult. *Note: You can use red kidney beans or pink beans if you don't like the roman beans. Additional Note: This is not a weeknight after work dish. It's time consuming but worth it. I will be posting another stewed bean recipe using canned beans that cook up in a flash for you busy bodies ;-)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (16 ounce) bag goya roman beans
- 1 cup cubed calabaza squash (Carribean pumpkin or squash) (optional)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3 chicken bouillon cubes
- 3 (1 1/2 ounce) packages Sazon Goya seasoning (with Cilantro and Tomato)
- 10 stuffed manzanilla olives
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup sofrito sauce (see my Sofrito, or see substitute)
The following ingredients can be substituted for the 1 cup of pre-made Sofrito
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 green bell peppers, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves (mashed in a mortar and pestle or finely chopped)
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1Empty Beans into colander and wash with cold water. Discard any split/broken beans or beans that look odd in color and/or size.
- 2Place beans in large pot with cold water (add enough cold water to cover beans by about 3 inches).
- 3Cook beans on high heat until they come up to a boil.
- 4Reduce heat to Medium and partially cover with lid. Cook beans for 2 hours stirring occasionally and adding water as needed (some water will evaporate during cooking). Remember to always have beans covered with at about 3 inches of water.
- 5Meanwhile, heat a saute pan on medium/low heat. Add olive oil, Sofrito (if using), or the substituted ingredients.
- 6Saute for 3 minutes, then add tomato paste, Goya sazon, Chicken bouillon cubes, oregano, cumin, black pepper and Olives. Continue to cook for another 2 minutes. Remove from heat, set aside.
- 7After beans have cooked for 2 hours, add the chopped Calabaza and sauteed sofrito with the seasonings to the beans. Mix well, add more water if needed. Cook for 1/2 hour on medium heat partially covered, then 1/2 hour on medium heat uncovered (or until Calabaza is tender). Taste for seasoning, add water as needed.
- 8When beans are done, garnish with 1/4 cup chopped cilantro.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Puerto Rican Beans (Habichuelas Guisadas)
Serving Size: 1 (73 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 109.2
- Calories from Fat 85
- Total Fat 9.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.2 mg
- Sodium 523.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 1.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Sazon Goya seasoning
stuffed manzanilla olives