Recipe by Sharon123
A meatless Puerto Rican dinner, this is full of flavor!!! From Country Living magazine. Add meat, if you like.
Top Review by AnaCutone
My husband and I loved this recipe! At the end it still hadn't thickened as much as we'd liked, so we just added a little corn starch and it turned out nicely. We didn't have any annatto seeds, so we replaced them with turmeric as the previous review had suggested. We definitely will be making this again. Thanks!
- 473.18 ml water
- 793.78 g calabaza squash or 793.78 g butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 4.92 ml annatto seeds (optional)
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small sweet green pepper, chopped
- 1 chili pepper, finely chopped
- 2 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 6 fresh cilantro leaves, finely chopped (or use culantro leaves, if you can find them)
- 118.29 ml tomato sauce
- 425.24 g can pink beans, undrained
- 3.69 ml salt
- 2.46 ml dried oregano leaves
Cooked White Rice
- 709.77 ml water
- 59.14 ml olive oil
- 4.92 ml salt
- 473.18 ml long-grain white rice
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare Cooked White Rice: In a heavy 4-quart saucepan or Dutch oven, heat 3 cups water, 1/4 cup olive oil, and salt to boiling over high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium; add 2 cups rice and cook uncovered until rice appears to be dry-10 to 15 minutes.
- Using a fork, bring rice on the bottom to the top, but do not mix.
- Reduce heat to low; cook 10 minutes.
- Turn rice over again and cook 10 minutes longer.
- Cover rice and keep warm until ready to serve.
- This rice dish is somewhat crunchy in texture.
- Beans: In a 1-quart saucepan, heat water and squash to boiling over high heat.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook until tender-10 to 15 minutes.
- Drain squash, reserving 1 1/2 cups cooking liquid in a measuring cup.
- Add annatto seeds to cooking liquid and set aside 5 minutes.
- In 4-quart saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onion, green pepper, garlic, chile pepper, and cilantro; saute mixture, or sofrito, 5 minutes.
- Strain liquid from annatto into sofrito, discarding seeds.
- Add tomato sauce and squash.
- Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, until sauce is thickened-about 20 minutes.
- Stir undrained beans, salt, and oregano into mixture and cook until beans are warmed through and sauce has thickened again-about 15 minutes.
- To serve, spoon bean mixture over Cooked White Rice on serving plate.