1/1 Photo of Puerto Rican Beans and Rice(Habichuelas Rosadas)
1 hr 30 mins
1 hr 10 mins
A meatless Puerto Rican dinner, this is full of flavor!!! From Country Living magazine. Add meat, if you like.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 473.18 ml water
- 793.78 g calabaza squash or 793.78 g butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 4.92 ml annatto seeds (optional)
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small sweet green pepper, chopped
- 1 chili pepper, finely chopped
- 2 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 6 fresh cilantro leaves, finely chopped (or use culantro leaves, if you can find them)
- 118.29 ml tomato sauce
- 425.24 g can pink beans, undrained
- 3.69 ml salt
- 2.46 ml dried oregano leaves
Cooked White Rice
- 1Prepare Cooked White Rice: In a heavy 4-quart saucepan or Dutch oven, heat 3 cups water, 1/4 cup olive oil, and salt to boiling over high heat.
- 2Reduce heat to medium; add 2 cups rice and cook uncovered until rice appears to be dry-10 to 15 minutes.
- 3Using a fork, bring rice on the bottom to the top, but do not mix.
- 4Reduce heat to low; cook 10 minutes.
- 5Turn rice over again and cook 10 minutes longer.
- 6Cover rice and keep warm until ready to serve.
- 7This rice dish is somewhat crunchy in texture.
- 8Beans: In a 1-quart saucepan, heat water and squash to boiling over high heat.
- 9Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook until tender-10 to 15 minutes.
- 10Drain squash, reserving 1 1/2 cups cooking liquid in a measuring cup.
- 11Add annatto seeds to cooking liquid and set aside 5 minutes.
- 12In 4-quart saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- 13Add onion, green pepper, garlic, chile pepper, and cilantro; saute mixture, or sofrito, 5 minutes.
- 14Strain liquid from annatto into sofrito, discarding seeds.
- 15Add tomato sauce and squash.
- 16Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, until sauce is thickened-about 20 minutes.
- 17Stir undrained beans, salt, and oregano into mixture and cook until beans are warmed through and sauce has thickened again-about 15 minutes.
- 18To serve, spoon bean mixture over Cooked White Rice on serving plate.
Browse Our Top Long-Grain Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Long-Grain Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Puerto Rican Beans and Rice(Habichuelas Rosadas)
Serving Size: 1 (401 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 468.1
- Calories from Fat 129
- Total Fat 14.3 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 964.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 73.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.5 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 11.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh cilantro leaves