Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Authentic Recipe, goes great with chicken or pork chops. Also can be used as a main dish - top with lettuce, tomato and avocado. When I serve it as a main dish, I always double the recipe and serve over Arroz Con Gandules in place of the white rice. Credit for this recipe goes to my good friend Michelle.
- 15 ounces pink beans, undrained
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sofrito sauce
- 1 teaspoon fresh cilantro, minced
- 1 medium potato, peeled and diced
- 3 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 0.5 (1/2 ounce) envelope sazon goya (con cuilanto)
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons green olives (optional)
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- Put all ingredients except rice in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil.
- Stir; lower heat and simmer until thickened, about an hour.
- Serve over rice (tip: when preparing rice, rinse before cooking).
We really enjoyed these new-to-me beans. Finding the ingredients led me on a _world tour_ of sorts - I found sofrito in the freezer section of one market and the pink beans and sazon Goya con cilantro and achiote in the ethnic aisle of another store. I made exactly as written, omitting the green olives, and mine was thickened and ready to eat in about 35 minutes. The texture of the beans is very similar to a pinto and the next time I make a pot of those, guess what will be added? ;-) Thanks for posting a recipe that was a little out of my comfort zone but pleased our taste buds immensely!
Very good recipe. Thank you for posting it.