1 hr 10 mins
Please read the entire recipe before attempting to make this dish. You will need the Olive and Pepper Mix that I am unable to list in the ingredients, but is listed in the instructions. I've been working on an Arroz Con Pollo based on Throwdown with Bobby Flay. This is my rendition of the Al Fonda Boriqua version, who was the winner of the Throwdown. I jotted down all the info from the TV program. I have compiled techniques and recipes from authentic sources and this is what I have come up with. The prep time does not include the 24 hour chicken marination time. NOTES: Ingredients list includes links to Adobo Seasoning, Adobo Marinade, Sofrito and Olive and Pepper Mix. I hope that you enjoy my efforts as much as we have!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 chicken breasts, with bone, halved crosswise
- 4 chicken drumsticks
- 4 chicken thighs
- 3 ounces spanish chorizo, skinned and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 lb tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle beer (not dark)
- 1 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups long-grain white rice (14 oz.)
- 1 tablespoon adobo seasoning (Dry Adobo Spice Mix)
- 1/2 cup adobo marinade (Puerto Rican Adobo Marinade)
- 3/4 cup sofrito sauce (Puerto Rican Sofrito)
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
- 1Make Recipes: #315560, #315446, #315561, #315559. It should take less than 30 minutes to make all of these condiment/spice recipes.
- 2Remove skin and excess fat from chicken. Marinate chicken in adobo marinade, Puerto Rican Adobo Marinade, for 8-24 hours in the refrigerator.
- 3Remove chicken from marinade, draining off any excess. Sprinkle chicken with Adobo Seasoning, Dry Adobo Spice Mix. In a large dutch oven or heavy pot, add oil, chorizo and chicken. Over medium heat, cook until chicken is just browned on both sides, approximately 5 minutes. Add the Sofrito mixture, Puerto Rican Sofrito, stirring until softened, about 5 minutes.
- 4Add cumin, oregano, paprika, 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, bay leaves and 4 tablespoons Olive and Pepper Mix, Alcaparrado - Puerto Rican Olive & Pepper Mix. While stirring, cook for 2 minutes.
- 5Stir in tomatoes, beer, broth, and rice; bring to a boil making sure rice is submerged.
- 6Reduce heat to low, covering mixture with a tight fitting lid. DO NOT REMOVE THE LID! Continue to cook over low heat for 20 minutes.
- 7DO NOT REMOVE THE LID! Turn off the heat and let stand for 10 minutes. Remove the lid after 10 minutes and serve. If desired, garnish with additional Olive and Pepper Mix, Alcaparrado - Puerto Rican Olive & Pepper Mix, over rice.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Puerto Rican Arroz Con Pollo (Rice and Chicken)
Serving Size: 1 (373 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 559.8
- Calories from Fat 213
- Total Fat 23.7 g
- Saturated Fat 6.8 g
- Cholesterol 124.8 mg
- Sodium 264.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 38.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: