Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Original recipe from Robert Rodriguez from "Once Upon a Time in Mexico"
Make and share this Puerco Pibil recipe from Food.com.
- 5 lbs pork butt
- 5 tablespoons whole annatto seeds
- 2 teaspoons whole cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon peppercorn
- 8 whole allspice, seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon whole cloves
- 2 habanero peppers
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 8 garlic cloves
- 1 dash tequila
- 5 lemons, juice of
- banana leaf
- Grind spices from A) in a grinder designated for kitchen spices to fine powder (you don't want to use it for coffee beans).
- Stem and seed 2 habanero chiles (if you like it super hot, you can leave a few seeds in) and roughly chop.
- Combine ground spices, liquids from B, chopped habanero chiles and puree.
- Combine juice from 5 lemons and tequila into the mixture from (3).
- Cut pork butt into 2-inch cubes, put them in a large ziplock bag and pour in the marinade from (4). Marinade for at least an hour, but not overnight. (Acidity from lemon and vinegar will cook the meat and toughen it if marinaded for too long).
- Line a 9 x 13 baking pan with banana leaves, add the pork, and fold the banana leaves over to cover. Cover the pan with aluminum foil tightly so steam won't come out.
- Bake under 350°F for 4 hours. Rest for half an hour and serve with rice or tortilla.