Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
From "The Great Big Butter Cookbook".
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups finely chopped onions
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 14 ounces chicken stock
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3⁄4 teaspoon chipotle pepper, finely minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups small red potatoes, diced
- 2 cups corn
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 6 ounces monterey jack pepper cheese, shredded
- 2 cups crabmeat, chopped
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, freshly chopped
- In a Dutch oven set over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the onion and garlic, saute for 4 to 5 minutes until softened and golden. Stir in the bell pepper, stock, water, cumin and chipolte. Bring to a boil, then stir in potatoes. Adjust the heat to maintain a gentle boil, cover and cook for 5 minute.
- Stir in the corn kernals and cover, simmering for 10 min or until the potatoes are tender.
- In a small bowl, combine the half and half and cornstarch, stirring until smooth. Slowly stir into the soup and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and stir in Pepper Jack cheese, stirring until smooth and thickened.
- Stir in crabmeat and cilantro and heat through for several minutes. Garnish individual servings with fresh cilantro and serve with crusty bread.