Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs
very yummy native american bbq:) its the ultimate Native American BBQ!!! I think you all will enjoy it as well:)
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 dried juniper berries, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coriander seed, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 large ripe tomatoes, quartered and seeded
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 2⁄3 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon ground New Mexico red chili
- 1 medium-hot dried New Mexico chile, crushed
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate square, grated
- 5 lbs pork rib roast
- Heat oil in a large heavy saucepan and saute onions in it over medium heat until soft.
- Add garlic, juniper berries, coriander seed and bay leaf and saute for 2 to 3 minutes longer.
- Add tomatoes, water,vinegar, honey, ground and crushed chile and salt.
- Simmer, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Add chocolate and simmer, uncovered, for 20 to 30 minutes, until fairly thick.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Farenheit.
- Place roast fat side up in a roasting pan and baste generously with the sauce.
- Roast for about 3 hours, basting occasionally with sauce and pan drippings.
- Let roast sit for 10 minutes in a warm place before carving.
- Slice and spoon additional sauce over each portion.