Stella Mae's Note:
Posole (hominy) probably originated as an Indian dish, and is very popular in Mexico and parts of the southwest. This one-dish meal is good for lunch, dinner or pot lucks. Posole can be dry and plated or served as a thick stew in a bowl. It is either white (often as a stew with green chilies -- see my recipe for Pueblo White Posole), or red (best made with fresh, powdered mild to hot New Mexican red chili powder). Fresh or frozen posole is best, if you can find it, but drained, canned hominy is very good, too. Serve with salad and warmed flour or corn tortillas.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 -3 tablespoons mild red chili powder
- 1 lb pork loin or 1 lb pork chop, cooked and sliced into thin, bite sized pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, mashed
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 3 cups fresh hominy (reserve juice) or 3 cups frozen hominy, boiled until it pops (reserve juice) or 3 cups hominy (reserve juice)
- 1If using fresh or frozen hominy, boil until it pops, then reduce heat and cook until done. Reserve the water it boils inches (If using canned white or yellow hominy, reserve the juice).
- 2In a large frying pan, heat the oil over a medium flame.
- 3Add onion and cook until translucent.
- 4Make a 'well' in the center of the onion mixture and add the chili powder.
- 5Stir to dissolve the chili and mix thoroughly with the onions.
- 6Add the pork slices.
- 7Add the garlic and cumin.
- 8At last, add the cooked posole and 3- 4 cups liquid.
- 9Mix, and simmer slowly uncovered until liquid is reduced.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pueblo Dry Red Posole Stew (Slow Cooker/Crock Pot Friendly)
Serving Size: 1 (153 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 326.9
- Calories from Fat 211
- Total Fat 23.4 g
- Saturated Fat 6.5 g
- Cholesterol 68.0 mg
- Sodium 87.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 1.4 g
- Protein 23.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: