Recipe by SusieQusie
Using leftover roast pork or chicken, this spicy stew can be served over steamed white or brown rice or as sandwiches in warmed,scooped out French rolls or bolillos (Mexican rolls). Add avocado slices, red onion slices and a mild white cheese to garnish either the stew or the sandwich.
- 5 large ripe tomatoes (2 1/2 pounds)
- 3 garlic cloves, each cut into -thirds
- 2 chipotle chiles, canned in adobo sauce
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 1⁄2 lb bulk chorizo sausage
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons adobo sauce, from the can of chipotle chiles
- 1⁄2 cinnamon stick
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 lb shredded roast pork or 1 lb shredded roast chicken
- 1 ripe avocado, thinly sliced, for garnish
- 1 red onion, sliced into rings, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Put tomatoes on a baking pan and place about 8 inch inches under a preheated broiler until tomato skins turn brownish, about 10 minutes.
- Peel the tomatoes, cut in half horizontally and squeeze out seeds.
- Place tomatoes in a food processor along with garlic and chipotle chiles. Chop into a coarse puree. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet. Add onions and sauté for 5 minutes until softened. Remove and set aside
- Using the same skillet, fry the chorizo until well cooked. If the sausage is fatty, drain on paper towels and wipe out skillet.
- Return the sausage and onion to skillet and add the tomato-chipotle mixture along with vinegar, sugar, salt, adobo sauce and spices.
- Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the shredded pork or chicken,and simmer 20 to 25 minutes to blend flavors.
- If the mixture seems dry, add 1/2 cup beef or chicken broth or water.