Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Delicious rice dish. Use fresh grated coconut or the frozen grated coconut found in asian or indian groceries. Do not use the bagged coconut found in the baking isle of american groceries.
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 1 teaspoon jalapeno, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups mint leaves, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 -6 cloves
- 8 -10 black peppercorns
- 4 tablespoons ghee
- 2 teaspoons ginger, minced
- 3⁄4 cup yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup coconut, grated
- 4 -6 green cardamom pods
- 3 cups water
- Wash rice and drain.
- Heat ghee in a heavy bottom pot.
- Add cardamom, cloves, and black peppercorns.
- When they crackle, add bay leaves, ginger, jalapeno, coconut, and yogurt.Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add water, bring to a boil, then add rice and salt.
- Bring to a boil, then add mint leaves, cover and cook over low heat until rice is cooked and fluffy.
This is a wonderful pulao dish. I prepared it two days back and forgot to thank you and post my review. For this, I apologise. This pulao turned out very well and my parents as well as my mom's sister and her husband relished every morsel of it. I omitted the jalapenos from this because I couldn't find them anywhere here in Mumbai. I cut down the rice to 1 1/2 cups and like-wise used 3 cloves, 5 black peppercorns, 2 bay leaves, 1 tsp. pounded fresh ginger and 3 green cardamoms. Instead of ghee, I used Ricella Refined Sunflower Oil and only 1 tbsp. of it instead of 4! This turned out to be very flavourful, thanks to the combination of the mint leaves and the coconut. This is a keeper and we'll make this again! Thanks alot for posting the recipe.