Recipe by Recipe Junkie
From one of my church cookbooks. This is a delicious cake, and the pudding makes it a very rich treat.
Top Review by Fireflylover
I was going to post this EXACT recipe. I have been making this cake this way for about 20 years!! I finally found the little paper I cut out of a magazine that many years ago and wanted to post it here and to my surprise it was already here word for word!! Thanks, RJ.
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple slices in juice
- 1 (3 ounce) boxpackage instant vanilla pudding
- 10 walnut halves
- 10 maraschino cherries, halves
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 (18 ounce) box yellow cake mix
- 1 (3 ounce) box instant vanilla pudding
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain pineapple. (Reserve juice!).
- Combine 1 package of pudding mix and pineapple juice.
- Set aside.
- Arrange pineapple slices in bottom of 9x13" pan.
- Place walnut and/or cherry halves in center of each ring.
- Pour pudding and pineapple juice mixture over pineapple rings.
- Sprinkle with brown sugar.
- Combine cake mix, the other package of instant pudding mix, eggs, water and oil in large mixer bowl.
- Beat at medium speed on electric mixer for 4 minutes.
- Pour over pineapple mixture in pan.
- Bake at 350 for 55-60 minutes until cake tester inserted in center comes out clean and cake begins to pull from sides of pan.
- Do not underbake!
- Cool in pan for 5 minutes.
- Invert onto serving platter and let stand 1 minute.
- Remove pan.