Prep 45 mins
Cook 8 hrs
In 'The Mexican Slow Cooker' by Deborah Schnider
Make and share this Puchero De Res (Beef Soup With Corn and Potatoes) recipe from Food.com.
- 2 roma tomatoes, roasted
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 large poblano chile, stemmed, seeded, an d diced
- 1 white onion, diced
- 2 small carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 ear of corn, husked and cut into 6 wheels (1 inch)
- 1 jalapeno pepper, split in half lengthwise
- 1 small white rose potatoes or 1 small yam, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 small zucchini, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 14.79 ml kosher salt
- 4.92 ml fresh ground black pepper
- 907.18 g lean stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1182.95 ml beef broth
- 473.18 ml water
- warm corn tortilla
- *To roast tomatoes, line the bottom of a heavy skillet with foil and place over high heat.
- Place the whole tomatoes directly on the foil (don't add any oil) and allow them to blacken before turning.
- Turn the tomatoes and continue to char on all sides.
- In a blender, combine the roasted tomato and garlic and puree until smooth.
- Transfer the puree to a 6-quart slow cooker and add all the remaining ingredients, placing the harder vegetables on the bottom and the meat on top.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours.
- Turn the cooker to the warm setting and uncover.
- Let the soup settle for 15 minutes, then, using a large spoon, skim off as much fat as possible.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Serve in big bowls, with the tortillas on the side.