Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is the mac n cheese they make at publix for take out. I love the addition of the worchestershire sauce, tabasco and pepper!
- 2 cups elbow macaroni, uncooked
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄8 teaspoon Tabasco sauce (or other hot red pepper sauce)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 2 cups reduced-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated, fresh
- In a large pot, heat water to a boil. Cook macaroni in rapidly boiling water until done. Drain and set aside.
- Melt margarine in a medium saucepan over low heat. Add flour and cook one minute, stirring constantly with a wire whisk. Gradually add milk, stirring constantly. Continue to stir and cook over medium heat approximately 10 minutes until thickened and bubbly. Boil for one minute and remove from heat.
- Add seasonings (Worcestershire sauce, mustard, Tabasco and pepper) and cheeses. Stir until cheeses melt. Combine cheese sauce and macaroni in a bowl; stir well. Serve immediately.
This IS the Publix mac & cheese to a T!! I was skeptical at first when looking at the recipe, but figured I'd give it a go anyway since I had all the ingredients. I've tried probably more than a dozen macaroni and cheese recipes in the past few years, but none had ever really given me that smooth tangy simple cheesy goodness I was looking for. I had done recipes with Worcestershire and mustard but without a roux, I had done recipes with a roux but no Worcestershire, it never dawned on me to put the two together. Thank you for posting this!! My hunt for the ultimate mac & cheese is now over, and it's so simple and easy!
This is a very nice mac and cheese. The flavor was very smooth cheesy with a little bite. Was also very quick and easy to make. I have tried other mac and cheese recipes in the past and most of them were very bland. I will definitely make this again.
Very smooth tasty mac & cheese, with a very nice little bite. I used whole wheat macaroni and just made half a recipe for the two of us. We enjoyed it and would make it again. Made for PAC 2009