Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
I LOVE fried onion rings...and mushrooms, and zucchini, and...and...lol! Here's a no-fail recipe that I came up with that I'm sure you'll like! I LOVE these served with ranch dressing for dipping, burgers and a frosty mug of ice cold beer! CHEERS!
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup self-rising flour, you can sub regular
- 3⁄4 cup beer
- 2 teaspoons seasoning salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cayenne red pepper powder
- 1 large sweet onion, thickly sliced separate rings
- In small bowl, beat egg.
- Mix in well with whisk, rest of ingredients except onion slices.
- Heat oil til pretty hot but not smoking.
- Dip onion slices in batter coating well, letting some of the excess dripp off, and carefully drop in hot oil.
- When golden brown on underside, flip over with tongs. This should take about 3-4 minutes, less if your oil is hotter. Just eyeball it.
- Fry another 3-4 minutes on other side or til golden brown.
- Place on paper towels to drain.
- Nice addition: Mince very fine 1 jalapeno pepper, fresh or jarred, and add to batter before frying for a nice kick!
I am pregnant :) And I have tried several recipes trying to find the best fried mushroom recipe. I changed up the spices a bit only because my baby doesn't do red spices at all! :) This recipe turned out spongy and made my veggies (cauli, broc, zuccinni, and mushrooms) taste like burnt toast. Again Ive tested ALOT of recipes but so far non are better than the mccormick box mix of fish n chips batter I LOVE! I can certaintly appreciate the recipe and maybe it would work better with the bite of an onion but I didn't much care for it and wouldn't use it again. Sorry. Chalk it up to pregnancy picky-ness if you like :)
I've tried several onion ring recipes, but now I've found a keeper. These were crispy and flavourful. We will make these again! I didn't have self-rising flour so I used 1 cup flour and 1 tsp baking powder instead.
Very good! Some of them, the batter wouldn't stick to, others were perfect! Great flavor too! I made them in my deep fryer which left it kind of a mess, but that's what they're for! Great onion rings!