Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
There are many cabbage soup recipes posted, but I did not see one quite like this. I adapted this recipe from a recipe in the Los Angeles Times. It was a recipe request for the Lyon's English Grill Cabbage Soup. Since I changed the recipe a little, I changed the name a little :).
- 1 lb bulk pork sausage
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 cups chicken broth or 2 cups beef broth
- 3 cups cocktail vegetable juice (v8)
- 1 (11 ounce) can cream of tomato soup
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 5 -6 cups shredded cabbage
- salt and pepper
- Crumble sausage into a large pot and cook over medium-high heat until browned.
- Add onion and cook just until translucent.
- Remove excess fat if you don't want it.
- Add remaning ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer until cabbage is very tender, about 20 to 30 minutes.
This was great!!! The next time I make it...I will use the spicy sausage...I added allspice and carrots and celery. If I wasn't watching carbs...rice would definitely make it taste like "stuffed cabbage" thanx for sharing
I made this soup today and have to say it's terrific! I used Jimmy Dean brand hot pork sausage and beef broth and everything according to recipe. The hot sausage gives it a little nip. Good enough to recommend to Mom.
When DH tells me something with cabbage in it is fantastic...watch out! That is exactly what he did! This soup is quick and easy. I used a medium hot pork sausage and chicken broth. When this was almost done simmering I added (horrors!) some minute rice to the mixture and it reminded me of an unstuffed cabbage roll soup. This is going to be a favorite in our house this winter!