Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 mins
Entered for safekeeping, From Every Day with Rachael Ray, June/July 2009. If only the Wimpy burger I tried long ago had been anything like this! This is very British with horseradish, Worcestershire sauce, and watercress (although the British prefer cress sprouts, which are tinier and have excellent flavor, but in the U.S. you'd be lucky to find watercress). Personally, I love the bite of horseradish with my beef.
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄4 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup prepared horseradish
- 1⁄4 cup chives, chopped
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 2 lbs ground sirloin
- 1⁄4 cup Worcestershire sauce (eyeball it)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh curly-leaf parsley (Rachel Ray called for curly parsley, but I only cook with Italian flat-leaf parsley) or 1⁄4 cup flat-leaf Italian parsley (Rachel Ray called for curly parsley, but I only cook with Italian flat-leaf parsley)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4 seeded kaiser rolls, split
- 1 bunch watercress or 1 bunch cress mixed sprouts
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, chopped (for garnish)
- In a small bowl, stir together the sour cream, applesauce, breadcrumbs, horseradish, 1/4 cup chopped chives, and a generous amount of pepper. Cover and refrigerate.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the beef, Worcestershire sauce and parsley; season with salt and pepper.
- Form into 4 patties, press your thumb into the center of each patty to prevent bulging during cooking, and coat each with olive oil.
- In a large skillet, cook the patties over high heat until the bottoms are well-browned, about 4 minutes. Flip, lower the heat and cook for 4 more minutes for medium-rare.
- Top each roll bottom with some of the watercress or cress sprouts, a beef patty, lots of horseradish sauce, and a sprinkling of chives. Crown with the roll's top.
Well, Kathy, you certainly have a winner here! I made this exactly as posted, except I used seeded onion rolls (personal preference) and added a slice of cheddar cheese (we are cheeseburger people, although this meat mixture is very flavorful). Be warned - the sauce makes a lot, and you could probably safely halve it. I cooked these burgers on the grill, and they came out perfect. Definitely will enjoy this again! Thanks for posting. Made for ZWT 8.
Great burgers! My husband said that I should always mix Worchestershire sauce into burgers from now on. It made for great flavor and juicy burgers. I halved the sauce and it was plenty for 4 people. I was able to find sprouted watercress, so included the watercress and watercress sprouts on the burgers. Yum. Made for ZWT8 Great Britain. Thank you!
What great gourmet burgers! I took the advice of another reviewer and made half of the sauce and it was plenty. Couldn't find watercress so used arugula with good results. Cooked on the grill over charcoal and the meat was so flavorful and perfect with the horseradish sauce. Served on whole wheat buns and loved these - thanks for sharing the recipe! Made for ZWT8, Chefs gone WILD!