Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
From the book Czech and Slovak Touches. By John Kubasta, President of the Cleveland District Alliance of Czechoslovak Catholics, Cleveland, Ohio NOTE: Guessing on Prep time and serving.
- Pound beef well to make thin 5" x 5" pieces.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread with mustard.
- Place 1 slice bacon, halved and 1/4 pickle, cut lengthwise, on each slice.
- Slice and saute 1 onion till transparent.
- Place one slice on each beef slice.
- Roll the beef "sandwich" around the pickle.
- Secure with toothpick.
- Dice remaining onion and brown in shortening.
- Place in roasting pan with meat rolls and several cups of broth made from beef bouillon cubes.
- Cover and roast for 1 1/2 hours in a 350 degree oven.
- Baste every 15 minutes with additional broth.
- Remove meat rolls.
- Make gravy by adding flour and sour cream to roaster on stove top.
- Mix and boil. (Mixture will not curdle.)
- To serve, pour gravy over the beef rolls.
- Dumplings are a perfect accompaniment.