1/4 Photos of Psychedelic 60's Tie-Dye Cupcakes
PSU Lioness's Note:
We made these for my 6 year-old's "half-birthday" party at school. The concept is really easy but they are time consuming (the reason for the large amount of steps listed include the amounts of food coloring needed to dye the batter). The end result was worth it after the kids saw these and thought they were awesome. I didn't have the heart to tell them they were eating plain old vanilla cake with plain old vanilla frosting. They'll be perfect for your little hippie, too!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (18 ounce) box white cake mix
- red food coloring
- blue food coloring
- green food coloring
- yellow food coloring
- 1 (16 ounce) can vanilla frosting
- rainbow candy sprinkles
- 1Preheat the oven according to the cake mix directions.
- 2Prepare the cake mix according to box directions. Divide the batter evenly in 6 small bowls. You will dye each bowl individually.
- 3To make the colors, use the following amounts of food coloring. Make sure you scrape the sides of the bowls well while mixing to get any additional food coloring mixed into the batter. FOOD COLORING AMOUNTS:.
- 4Purple: 9 red + 6 blue drops.
- 5Blue: 12 blue drops.
- 6Green: 12 green drops.
- 7Yellow: 12 yellow drops.
- 8Orange: 12 yellow + 4 red drops.
- 9Red: 18 drops red.
- 10After you have mixed the batter colors, line 24 muffin cups.
- 11Evenly distribute the batter between the cups in the order that you dyed them, layering them carefully. I used about a half of a spoonful of each color per cup.
- 12Bake according to cake mix directions.
- 13Frost with white icing and add rainbow sprinkles.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Psychedelic 60's Tie-Dye Cupcakes
Serving Size: 1 (40 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 170.2
- Calories from Fat 48
- Total Fat 5.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 177.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 23.6 g
- Protein 0.9 g