Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is my adaptation of a healthier version of the Reuben sandwich from shape.com. It is totally vegetarian and could easily be made vegan. Don't let the dressing ingredients scare you - you could also use Thousand Island Dressing, but I think this version removes the need to buy it. This is a sandwich that is truly a sum of its parts - they meld beautifully and you won't notice the individual ingredients.
- 2 slices rye bread (Or whole wheat)
- 2 slices yves brand meatless deli slices (or comparible brand I use turkey, ham, bologne, salami...they're all good!)
- 1⁄4 cup grated or thinly sliced swiss cheese or 1⁄4 cup reduced-fat swiss cheese or 1⁄4 cup vegan Swiss cheese
- 1⁄4 cup sauerkraut, drained
- 1 teaspoon ketchup
- 1 teaspoon Miracle Whip or 1 teaspoon mayonnaise or 1 teaspoon vegan mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon pickle relish
- Toast bread if desired.
- Layer deli slices, cheese, and sauerkraut on one slice.
- On the other, spread ketchup, relish, and mayo.
- Top one slice with the other.
- This would probably be good grilled but I eat mine like this.
This sandwich is great with Tempeh, and NO yukky Miracle Whip please. I would not like the low fat cheese because you need fat in your diet to stay healthy. I like this sandwich grilled for better flavor. The Sno-Isle Co-op in Everett WA makes a sandwich like this. Leaflady www.leaflady.org
I've made sandwiches like this for years... but they HAVE to be on rye bread! I use Worthington brand meatless Corned Beef slices and bottled Thousand Island dressing. Yum...