Recipe by Manami
An easy and somewhat elegant dessert. This comes from The Settlement Cookbook. My mother and grandmother used to prepare this dish and I have prepared it for my family.
- 1 1⁄3 cups pitted prunes
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice (fresh)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 6 egg whites
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- In a medium saucepan, simmer the prunes in water until soft, drain and puree.
- Combine the prune puree in a saucepan with the sugar and beat until the sugar dissolves.
- Add the lemon juice and vanilla.
- Beat the egg whites until frothy, add the cream of tarter, and beat until stiff.
- Fold the prune puree into the egg whites.
- Pour into a buttered and sugared 2 quart baking dish and bake until nicely browned; about 40-45 minutes.
- Refrigerate and serve chilled with whipping cream.